Breathe Easy Pediatrics Presents: Tidal Volume Episode 1 - Airway Clearance in Spinal Muscular Atrophy
In episode 1, Christina Barreda MD from the University of Wisconsin and Ryan Thomas MD from Michigan State University discuss the importance of airway clearance in people with Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA). Discussion includes the physiology atelectasis and SMA and how SMA places patients at increased risk for mucus plugging and atelectasis. Discussion also includes prevention strategies and some of the data that informs these strategies.
Guest: Dr. Christina Barreda
Ryan Thomas, MD
- Finkle RS et al. Diagnosis and management of spinal muscular atrophy: Part 2: Pulmonary and acute care; medications, supplements and immunizations; other organ systems; and ethics. Neuromuscul Disord. 2018 Mar;28(3):197-207
- Schroth MK. Special Considerations in the Respiratory Management of Spinal Muscular Atrophy Pediatrics May 2009, 123 (Supplement 4) S245-S249
- Bach JR, Ishikawa Y, Kim H. Prevention of pulmonary morbidity for patients with Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Chest 1997;112(4):1024–1028.
- Bach JR, Niranjan V, Weaver B. Spinal muscular atrophy type 1. A noninvasive respiratory management approach. Chest 2000;117(4):1100–1105.
- Bach JR, Baird JS, Plosky D, Navado J, Weaver B. Spinal muscular atrophy type 1: management and outcomes. Pediatr Pulmonol 2002;34(1):16–22.
- Miske LJ et al. Use of the mechanical in-exsufflator in pediatric patients with neuromuscular disease and impaired cough. Chest. 2004 Apr;125(4):1406-12.
- Morrow B et al. Mechanical insufflation-exsufflation for people with neuromuscular disorders. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013 Dec 30;(12):CD010044.